Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Tunes Tuesday - Joe Nichols

It's been a while since I've reviewed some music here. It doesn't mean I haven't stopped listening; I just haven't found anything worth writing about until now. I have been playing the latest album by Joe Nichols, Crickets, on repeat lately. It's been out a few months, so I know I'm certainly late on getting this written. But better late than never. This one is definitely worth checking out.

One of my favorite tracks, and his first single, is "Sunny and 75." Welcome to the endless summer! You'll be dreaming of beaches and palm trees as you listen to this track. "You and me on a beach chair / Yeah, I'm so there every time I look in your eyes / Kissing you in the salt air / I can taste it, I swear / Sunny and 75."

Another favorite of mine is "Smile On Mine." He's been pulling out all of the stops for another kiss. "Don't play hard to get / Girl it just ain't fair / Don't you remember that night / There was magic in the air." Have you ever wished for just one more kiss?

If you want to get your redneck on, then "Open Up a Can" is for you. If you've had a bad day, or a long week, there's only so much you can take before you open up a can. I can relate. I can picture hands in the air swaying back and forth at his next concert to this song.

I love "Old School Country Song." He fits current times into classic country emotions. The steel guitar weeps as he sings... "Breakin’ up is still a mess / It don’t make a heart hurt less / Cause you text it from a mobile phone / All you’ve really done you see / Is modernize the melody / But it still sounds like an old school country song." This song was a great lead into a familiar country song... his cover of Merle Haggard's "Footlights." He gives it a soulful and heartfelt touch.

Crickets is aptly named because it's a laid back, chill by the river bank kinda record from start to finish. And he throws in the sounds of crickets chirping every now and then just for effect. It's a traditional country sounding album with very few skip over tracks. Enjoy.

Grade: B


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...