Friday, December 20, 2019

My One Word for 2020

Back in July, I wrote this post about finding and focusing on one word rather than making a New Year's resolution. It's the best thing ever! The whole process of finding and choosing one word to focus on has been a life changer for me. So I'm very excited to share with you how this year went AND what my one word is for 2020.

My One Word for 2019 has been "purpose". Two major changes occurred in my life in 2018. First, after 20 years in financial aid, I changed careers to fundraising. And secondly, my first born began his senior year of high school (emotional post here), which meant he would be leaving the nest soon. So yeah... These two significant changes had me really questioning my purpose. Like a lot! So I decided to make "purpose" my one word and apply it to every aspect of my life. In doing so, I found a more profound purpose at work. I redefined my purpose as a mother. I also focused on finding a deeper purpose in my relationships. So much good stuff, people!

Now as we are nearing the end of the year, I start reflecting back on the previous 12 months. I like to review how I've grown, see what I've learned, and determine what I can improve upon #perfectionist. This year I added another step and thought about how my one word has positively impacted my life.  
  • At work as a fundraiser, my purpose is to provide opportunities to donors to make a difference and bring meaning to their lives. Facilitating this work is extremely satisfying.
  • At home, my purpose as a mother is to raise my children and then let them go. Ugh! This has been difficult to come to terms with because my children are my life. They have consumed every minute of every hour for over 18 years. Parents, change is hard. But I am slowly learning that this next phase is exciting as well. I love watching them succeed and supporting them on their journey. They really make me want to be a better person.
  • As a wife / family member / friend, my purpose is to celebrate successes and provide comfort when needed. As an introvert, it's hard for me to share my feelings with others and open up. This is something I need to keep working on.
  • I also found purpose as a volunteer in my church serving in the third grade room. What seemed like work in the beginning is now something I really look forward to. I am beginning to see a new purpose in my life that I didn't see before.
I mean, wow! Focusing on one word is so much more powerful than completing a new year's resolution! Finding my purpose and fully understanding my "why" has been an incredible journey. And when I am focusing and living out my purpose, I am so much happier! Which brings me to my one word for 2020...

My one word for 2020: JOY


I have really struggled lately with being present. I'm always over-thinking about the past or dreaming / worrying about the future. I feel like I have missed so many moments by not being present. I have really lost that part of me and want to get it back. Focusing on JOY invites me to be still and live in the moment once again. Now that I feel satisfied with knowing my purpose, I want to look back on 2020 and see that my life was joyful. I want to find the joy in all circumstances and bring joy to others. Just thinking of the possibilities with JOY as my one word brings me so much peace and makes me smile.

Here's to a joyful 2020!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...