Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Alabama and Friends


The band Alabama and I go way back. I remember seeing them as a child at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia, MO with my family. That might have been my very first live concert. I've always been a big fan of their music. But not only that, their songs are synonymous with my childhood. When I hear "Oh play me some mountain music..." I'm transported back in time as a lot of fans of country music are. Their songs are family sing-a-long songs for me and are held in the highest regard.

When I learned there was a tribute album released commemorating 40 years of music together, I knew I would listen with a critical ear. I have the original songs in my head and that standard has been set. I was very interested to see how the covers would compare.

Fortunately, the album has an all-star cast with Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Eli Young Band, Trisha Yearwood, Toby Keith, and Florida Georgia Line. Alabama appears on several of the tracks providing back-up harmonies.

The song choices are exceptional. Jason Aldean's version of "Tennessee River" starts the album off, which was Alabama's first number one single. Kenny Chesney is perfection on "Lady Down On Love." And "Love In The First Degree" might as well have been written for Luke Bryan. But my favorite on the album is "I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why)" with Florida Georgia Line. I'm in love with this band and love how they made this song their own. Though I love the original, I may like this one even more.

The album also has two brand new tracks for Alabama including "That's How I Was Raised" and "All American." It's currently sitting in the number two spot on the country charts, so fans are certainly loving it. And I must say, so am I. As far as tribute albums go, this one is a keeper.

Have you listened to it yet? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...