Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How will you remember?

This morning I displayed our American flag in front of our home. Today is Patriot Day. A day of remembrance for our country for the 2,977 killed on September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.


Old Glory is ragged looking, isn't she? She's certainly not a perfect flag. She's faded from the sunlight. There are a few holes and tears in the fabric, and the pole is very dirty. As I took my photo I thought "we need a new flag." Should I really display this tired looking thing?

Yes. Because I had a few other thoughts...

Our country is far from perfect. It's full of holes and tears, and parts of her are quite dirty.

Our leaders are far from perfect. They are only human after all. Their judgement is sometimes full of holes and rips the country in two at times. We fight and disagree. And it makes me tired.

But we rise every morning and face the day. We stand proud and let our colors shine. And tomorrow we'll do it all again. I was reminded of these lyrics from That Ragged Old Flag...

"So we raise her up every morning and we bring her down slow every night.
We don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right.
On second thought I *do* like to brag
Cause I'm mighty proud of That Ragged Old Flag"

I'm still proud to be an American, but I'm feeling more and more like my Old Glory looks.

God bless the USA.








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...