Thursday, December 12, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Christmas Edition Week 2

First, I know it's Thursday. This is what happens when life gets in the way... your blog post is late. But, as I always say... better late than never.

This week I'm reviewing Wrapped In Red by Kelly Clarkson. This girl has amazing chops. I have watched her grow since she won American Idol in 2002. I was a fan of her then, and I'm still a fan now. I wish I could have seen her Christmas special last night, but again.... life stuff happened. That's okay. It was important life stuff with my kids.

On to the music....

She spans a variety of genres on the album including blues, country, soul and contemporary pop. There is a little something for everyone on this very Clarkson Christmas album. I think my favorite song on the album is Underneath The Tree. It has a 60's rockin' feel to it. I can definitely imagine it blaring through the mall speakers during this time of year. It was immediately added to my Christmas Favorites playlist.

Equally as rockin' is Run Run Rudolph.  She puts a Memphis Blues twist to it that's a lot of fun. Speaking of blues... Please Come Home For Christmas (Bells Will Be Ringing) is full of soul. I found myself comparing it to the original just a little bit, but I still love her style. But I had to star Every Christmas, an original ballad where she really lets loose. She also really shines in front of a big band horn-section on My Favorite Things.

The album has a great mix of original songs and your holiday favorites. She sounds absolutely beautiful on Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and White Christmas. Both songs really highlight her tone and phrasing. The encore at the end pairs her with country superstars Reba McEntire and Trisha Yearwood on Silent Night. I loved seeing this genre-jumping country twist. It's an elegant rendition that solidifies the whole album.

With her ever powerful voice, Wrapped In Red is destined to become a holiday classic.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...