Tuesday, December 24, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Christmas Edition Week 4

Let me preface this by saying... I was skeptical. All controversy aside (and none of that will be discussed here), I do like Duck Dynasty. I think it's a great family television show, and their stories crack me up. But a Christmas album? Can they sing?

Yes they can! Duck The Halls is actually pretty good.

The Robertson clan mix traditional songs with a few originals for a heaping helping of family fun. As fans of the show can attest, it's the warmth and love of this family that makes their show a special one. It all shines through on the album.

Willie, Missy, Uncle Si, and Phil lead the way. Missy has a wonderful voice that is show-cased on I'll Be Home For Christmas. She also sings with husband Jase in a very flirty Baby It's Cold Outside.

They also bring in some a-list help on a few songs. Luke Bryan pairs with Willie on Hairy Christmas. "Like Jesus and Santa Claus, we got love behind these beards" they joyfully sing on the chorus. Sadie's sings sweetly on Away In A Manger while Alison Krauss and Josh Turner provide harmony. He then later duets with Missy on a song he wrote, Why I Love Christmas. And Phil joins George Strait for a good time on his song Christmas Cookies.

Uncle Si is entertaining as ever when he mistakes Santa Claus for Willie on The Night Before Christmas. You can also hear him on You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch.  Plenty of "Hey, Jack!" for everyone.

I really enjoyed the original songs also. Camouflage and Christmas Lights is a great tribute to uniformed soldiers. The oldest son Reed Robertson, whom we really don't see much on the show, sings here. Rajin’ Cajun Redneck Christmas starts the album off and pretty much sets the tone. It reminds us of what Christmas is really all about. "Gotta buy a Barbie doll and a toy robot / You can't buy me nothing I ain't got / Some folks wanna know what it's really for / Down here we know it's about the Lord"

I honestly thought it was going to be more of a novelty joke album, but it certainly isn't. I was pleasantly surprised. You don't have to like Duck Dynasty to like this album either. If you love Christmas and Christmas music, then it's a winner.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...