Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Lady Antebellum

Lady Antebellum released their fourth studio album, Golden, last month. I gave it a listen, thought about writing a review, and then got majorly side-tracked with my life. Hate it when that happens. But New Tunes Tuesday returns today!

There are a few more up tempo songs on this album. Good thing because their previous record, Own The Night, was on the heavy side. But don't worry, there are classic heartbreaking songs on this album that only Lady A can provide.

First off, I have to be honest about their first single, "Downtown." It is not one of my favorites. I know it's been a huge hit. It's flirty and playful and issues a big warning, but there is something about it that I just can't get into. Still, Hillary Scott sounds great on this track.

My favorite song is "Good-bye Town." Not only does Charles Kelley sound awesome on the track, but I can relate to the song. When you find a connection to a song, it just means that much more. "I can't erase the memories, and I can't burn the whole place down." Too many hurtful memories of her leaving surround him in the good-bye town.

Another great up-tempo number is "Better Off Now (That You're Gone)." "I've been waiting on your call now just the silence and me / I know you want me to chase you around but I'm so tired of asking you please." Yes, they've finally moved on and realized it was never going to work out anyway. I love the harmonica at the bridge.

The most heartbreaking yet beautiful track is "It Ain't Pretty." Hillary Scott sings with a regretful tone throughout. She thought she was fine, but then decides she probably shouldn't go out clubbing with a broken heart. "I made my way to the bathroom mirror / I'm standing next to some girl spilling beer / She didn't notice I was drying my tears / Just look at me now, God, how'd I get here?" The song is as real and hopeless (in a good way) as they've ever been.

The best moments are when either Scott or Kelley sing solo. They've never sounded better. There are very few skip-ahead tracks. I find myself wanting to dig even deeper into the songs as I set them on repeat.

Well done, Lady A.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...