Monday, June 24, 2013

06.24.13 Negative Space

lonely

Very cool topic for a photo challenge. First let me explain what it means...

"Negative space is the empty space around the subject or focus of the photograph."

The positive space is the subject matter in the photo and the negative space is the space around it. The use of negative space gives you some "breathing" room and somewhere to rest your eyes. Any photo, even a macro, could have negative space. The key is to focus on the space and gaps around what you are photographing instead of the subject to make it really stand out. Creative cropping and composition are key in this technique I think.



And I found out real quick that blueberries are difficult to photograph....

blueberries

Some of my first thoughts are those hidden letters you see in photography. The letter is sometimes, but not always, in the negative space. I also think of a big sky with just a sliver of a moon or a few branches of a tree. Or a big open space with a lonely tree like I posted above.

Negative space is tricky, but I gave it a go. Let me know what you think.

a foot of chocolate


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...