Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Hunter Hayes

Encore is the second release for Hunter Hayes which reintroduces his Grammy-nominated debut album plus a little extra. With a total of 17 tracks, it's a LOT extra if you already own "Hunter Hayes," but the extras are worth it.

Two of my favorite artists duet with Hunter - Jason Mraz and Ashley Monroe. "Everybody's Got Somebody But Me" is a standout track with Jason Mraz. The two are so vocally similar that the harmonies are superb! And Ashley Monroe adds her melancholy specialty to "What You Gonna Do." Those two tracks are definitely worth a listen. He also re-recorded "More Than I Should." It sounds more aggressive as the lyrics demand. "'Cause my heart said a long time ago / Buddy tuck your tail and run / 'Cause it ain't love / When you're stuck on the wrong end of the gun"


"I Want Crazy" is definitely the best of the newer tracks. I love his "live in the moment" philosophy in the lyrics. "I wanna be scared, don't wanna know why / Wanna feel good, don't have to be right / The world makes all kinds of rules for love / I say you gotta let it do what it does"

Another great track is "Light Me Up." He opens his shows with this song, and it is easy to see why. It's a great feel good track and belongs on your road trip playlist. 

I like that he named the album (Encore) instead of "deluxe." Because it is more than just slapping extra songs onto an existing album. It's an encore presentation of his original work plus some very good bonus material without putting out a whole new album. Very smart move, and I look forward to his true sophomore album in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...