Friday, May 3, 2013

05.03.13 This Is Really Good

It's May, and in some parts of the state, it is snowing. Crazy! We should be barbecuing and sitting on the deck! What is wrong with you, Mother Nature?

But a little cold weather won't stop me from enjoying my food. Here is what was on the dinner menu this evening, recipes are below the photo.

This is really good!
Pulled Pork
This was SO easy. I bought a pork shoulder roast. Put it in the crock pot with a bottle of root beer (I just used HyVee brand). Let that cook on low for 7-8 hours. Drain it well. Shred it with a fork (should have NO trouble with that - I had trouble getting it out of the crock pot in one piece!). And mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce. I love Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy. Serve on a toasted bun. It had just the right amount of sweetness and very tender. Highly recommend!

Broccoli Salad
Everyone who has ever tried this dish asks for the recipe. I got it from a co-worker a few years ago. Mix up the dressing - 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tbls balsamic vinegar. Cut up 2 large bunches of broccoli (I just use the tops) and then pour on the dressing. You'll want this to set either over night, or I just mix it up in the morning. Leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve. This allows the broccoli to soften and the flavors to meld.  Before you serve, add 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of sunflower kernels, and crumbled bacon (extra crisp). My family loves this stuff.

Apple Cole Slaw
This was a great side dish to the pulled pork. I used a bag of premixed cole slaw cabbage with carrots (handy and easy to use). Chop an unpeeled red apple (I used Fuji) and an unpeeled Granny Smith apple. Toss the apples with the cole slaw mix. The dressing is 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1 Tbls of lemon juice. Pour that over the apple/cole slaw mix and serve. Next time I will also add some green onion tops. Crisp, a little sweet, a little tart, and very good!

Cole Slaw on your pulled pork sandwich or on the side?
Which do you prefer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...