Friday, May 24, 2013

Over the Rainbow Bridge

She was a gift to me fifteen years ago for my birthday, and today it was time for her to go.


The love for a pet runs deep. It was very hard to let her go, but fifteen years is a long time for a dog. Her eyesight and hearing was failing. When she walked, she looked like a hip hop dog (doing some awesome pop and lock, I might add). It looked almost robotic... but I'm sure it was painful for her. Occasionally her legs would slip out from under her. She was losing control of her bladder (making a mess of my carpet). And her appetite was getting smaller and smaller. She was simply... aging.


But she was the best dog ever. Actually, she was more than just a dog. She was a companion, a friend, and my first baby. My kids grew up with her. She's always been there with them. She was a part of our family.



She was also an excellent teacher. Skyler taught me everything I need to know about life....

1. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
2. When it is in your best interest, practice obedience.
3. Take lots of naps in the warm sun, and stretch when you wake up.
4. Thrive on attention, and let people touch you.
5. Avoid biting when a good growl will do.
6. When you're happy, wag with your WHOLE body.
7. Eat with enthusiasm! And stop when you've had enough.
8. Delight in the simple things like a long walk.
9. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
10. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close, and nuzzle them gently.


Over the Rainbow Bridge you go, Skyler. 

"Absent from our lives, but never from our hearts."



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...