Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Pistol Annies

The Annies have done it again! The super trio of Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley have released their second album, Annie Up. Like their first release, it's full of attitude, grit, and a little humor delivered in perfect three part harmony. Their thick, bluesy guitars moan and wail throughout the 12 tracks as they sing about the trials and tribulations of life.

The album begins with what could be considered their mission. "I Feel A Sin Comin' On" comes alive with attitude and danger. "And you can see it / All over my face / Sweet temptation / All over the place" they sing after an acapella opening. This leads right into the next song, "Hush, Hush," about keeping family secrets.

Appearances are also talked about in "Being Pretty Ain't Pretty." It tackles the unfair standards of beauty for women in a way that only the Annie's can do. And there's an aggressive edge to "Unhappily Married" which paints a sad portrait of domestic decay.

My favorite track is "Damn Thing." It's a bluegrass, bad-girl's anthem, and is probably the most fun they've ever had on a record. "It's a damn shame that I can't change / I can't undo everything I'd like to / So I roll on, and I shout it / 'Cause I can't do a damn thing about it!"

The Annies show a softer side by the album's end. They drop the attitude altogether on "I Hope You're The End Of My Story" - a beautiful love song as poignant as the rest is fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...