Thursday, July 19, 2012

day 19. animal / pet



Isn't she cute?  This is my Toy Fox Terrier, Skyler Bing Marks, born on April 21, 1998. I received her as a birthday present from my husband. The middle name came later courtesy of my sister. When called, she will answer to Sky, Bing, or Little Bing.

newborn puppy
She was so tiny as a puppy she could fit inside my robe pocket... and I would carry her around like that... and she would sometimes fall asleep.Those of you without pets probably won't understand this, but she's my first baby. I made her little jackets to wear during the winter months. There's not much fur there to keep her warm! Plus, when it would snow, she would basically disappear outside with her white fur, so the jacket helped us to spot her. I also taught her to do tricks with hand commands and speech. This breed of dog is so intelligent. Besides sitting and laying down, she can shake, high five, roll over and speak (bark). I also taught her to "little speak". It's a cute, quiet little bark. I thought maybe if she was being too loud I could command her to use her inside bark (little speak). Nope. Only works for treats (see... intelligent).
protective

She was so curious when our son was born. There was a new smell in the house! And competition for attention. By the time my daughter arrived, she was accustomed to sitting low on the Marks totem pole. Now, in her old age, she's a little more demanding with them. She knows the kids are highly capable of reaching her treats and filling her bowls when needed. Not to mention taking her for a walk outside. (yep... intelligent)


definitely my dog



Having a small dog is great. Boarding isn't too expensive. Her crate is small and fits between the two kids in the back seat of my Focus. She eats only about 1/2 a cup of food a day. And we can exercise her in the house with just a laser pen. She's still trying to catch it. (OK, maybe not so intelligent)




Pets really do become part of the family. They are there to greet you at the door, snuggle with you on the couch, and love you unconditionally. She's been a good dog and companion for the past 14 years. I know her years are numbered, so I plan to enjoy her for as long as I can.


I should probably go take her on that walk now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...