Tuesday, March 5, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Sham Rock (an Irish playlist)

St. Patrick's Day is on its way, so why not "go green" with your music? I've created a playlist of some successful Irish Bands and my favorite songs by them.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2: They are undeniably the most successful Irish band ever. But not only that, they are also among the best selling artists of all time. The Joshua Tree is one of the highest selling albums in the US, so naturally, I had to start with them. And this is my favorite song from my favorite album. Crank it!

2. Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison: Definitely his signature song. It's a popular classic and is recognized by many. An oldie but a goodie, as they say.

3. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy: a very cool guitar track from 1976, I had to include this one in the list. Did you know they were Irish?

4. Linger by The Cranberries: this song became a top 10 hit in the early 90's. It's hard to believe their album is now 20 years old this month. Wow.

5. Runaway by The Corrs: a group that combines traditional Celtic music with pop rock. Their harmonies blend perfectly, which is no surprise since they are all siblings. Very talented musical family.

6. Bad Penny by Rory Gallagher: I love his very Irish name! He was a wonderful blues-rock guitarist. I think this song showcases his talents the best. Gone too soon at the age of 47.

7. Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor: another very Irish name. Written by Prince and made popular by Sinead. I still remember seeing this iconic video on MTV.

8. One Horse Town by The Thrills: The album this song comes from hit #1 in Ireland in 2003. Their sound is very similar to 60's and 70's rock.

9. Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly: You can't have an Irish playlist without this band!

10. Breakeven by The Script: they are my second favorite Irish band. I chose this song from their debut album, The Script. They combine hip-hop, pop and anthemic rock into a sound all their own. You can read my review of #3 here.

11. Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol: best known song by this really wonderful band. How many of you remember hearing it on Grey's Anatomy?

BONUS SONG: since it's my playlist, and I love U2, I give you another wonderful song by my favorite band... I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

"If you're enough lucky to be Irish, then you're lucky enough!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...