Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Thompson Square

Thompson Square is a country music duo comprised of husband and wife Keifer and Shawna Thompson. "Just Feels Good" is their second studio release. And for the second year in row, they have earned the Academy of Country Music award of vocal duo of the year.

And it is easy to see why. They have great harmonies, catchy tunes, and excellent chemistry. All 13 tracks on the album explore the various stages of romance and is very up-beat and bouncy. Could this be art imitating life? Just listen to "If I Didn't Have You" for your answer.

Once of my favorite tracks is the opening song "Everything I Shouldn't Be Thinking About." It's a G-rated version of S-E-X. It's light and bouncy but not too pop-sounding. Definitely catchy and a great opener.

"Here We Go Again" is also very refreshing. Shawna has a great vocal on this track. The story of two longtime lovers acting like kids again is a nice change from the quarreling couples infecting the airwaves these days. However, production-wise, it sounds very similar to the first track.

"That's So Me And You" is also a great track. And sounds very familiar if you know a little bit of their back story. "Next thing you know / We called Tennessee our home /And that sooner southern sun and those 'Bama stars/ Seemed too far away/ We were day and night / In Broadway's neon lights / Didn't know singing for tips in a pickle jar / Would change our life."

Lyrically, "I Can't Outrun You" is my favorite. "You're in my heart, you're in my mind / Everywhere ahead, everywhere behind / Every turn I take/ You're right around the bend / It's like your ghost is chasing me/ When I'm awake, when I'm asleep / There's a part of you in every part of me/ And I can't outrun you"

Honestly, there isn't a bad track on the whole album. It's a great collection of songs and lives up to its name, but too much of a good thing can be... boring. A song about a truck, a tractor, a farm or even a dog would really help breakup the sticky sweet monotony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...