Monday, January 21, 2013

Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Yesterday was what I consider to be the best football day for the NFL. Championship Sunday - the best teams in the country fighting for a spot in the Super Bowl. That, my dear friends, is cause for a beer. But if I'm being totally honest, what occasion doesn't call for a beer?

I headed to the beer fridge to make my selection. Tough decision.....


It's been a while since I've reviewed a beer here, so I'm thinking now would be a good day to do so again. Let's talk about Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale. Deschutes is located in Bend, Oregon and just came to Missouri this past year. They are expanding further east which should make any beer drinker very happy. I had heard a lot of good things about them and was eager to try their flagship beer, Mirror Pond. When you consider the different types of beer, I am a big fan of the "Ales," especially the American Pale Ales. They usually have medium maltiness, higher hop bitterness, and a medium flavor/aroma from the hops.

Mirror Pond is brewed with Cascade hops, which is popular for that region. It has a piney citrus aroma. The malts make it sweet but not overly so. It's nicely balanced like a good APA should be. You get a little hop bite at first sip, and then there is a malt backbone that lingers. It's hop forward and drinks almost like an IPA. I have had this beer several times, and it never disappoints.

The pale ales from the Northwest have a distinct flavor, in my opinion, based on the hops and malts from that region. If you like Boulevard Pale Ale, Green Flash West Coast IPA, or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, then you'll love Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...