Monday, August 6, 2012

day 6. writing

my journals
Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. Pictured here are a few of my journals from when I was younger. Inside are my thoughts, feelings, and memories from high school and college. I wrote PRIVATE across the top of one of them. I had to chuckle. Did I really think that would keep nosy people from reading it?

They are pretty entertaining to read actually. I wrote about my summer jobs, movies I saw, and getting my license. Preparing for college, trips I took, visits I made, classes I liked and hated. Going out with friends, getting mad at friends, making up with friends, and boys. Oh my. Pages and pages about boys.

Occasionally I would write a poem in my journal to describe the moment. I thought I would share one of my favorites that I found. It's about searching for the right words to say in a letter. Maybe the words didn't sound right or maybe I was just too afraid to send them. Maybe a little of both. I like the metaphor I used to visualize the scene, and I do remember this day very well. All because of my journal.

The Blizzard
(written June 1993)

I put my hands upon my desk and lean back in my chair.
Turn my head to count the time and hours I've been there.

I yawn and stretch and crack my neck and look around my feet.
My floor looks like a blanket of snow, each flake a crumpled sheet.

I rise and walk through snow made up of paper I have tossed.
And make my way across the room trying not to get lost.

I can't seem to put into words the feelings in my head.
So I click on my favorite CD and lie upon my bed.

Tonight I'll just close my eyes and try to get some sleep.
The feelings I have for you remain in the snow so deep.


The journals stopped after the kids arrived. Life just became too busy I guess. I wish I had found the time to write the memories down. That's one of the main reasons I started this blog: in order to remember. The photo a day challenge provides the topic, and then I fill in the content. My creative outlet is back.

Do you have a journal? What do you write about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...