Tuesday, August 7, 2012

New Tunes Tuesday - Missy Higgins

I had never heard of Missy Higgins until this week. She was introduced to me through the photo a day challenge (see, you really should participate). The creator of the challenge, Fat Mum Slim, asked for new music suggestions on her blog, and Missy was listed. Apparently she's quite popular in her home country of Australia (home to Fat Mum Slim as well). So I looked up her album, The Ol' Razzle Dazzle, on Spotify.

On the first track, "Set Me On Fire", she sings "melody, you're the only one who saves me." Girl, you are speaking to my heart with those lyrics. After one listen, I was hooked.

Another favorite of mine is "All in My Head". It's a song about writer's block, but you could probably spin it a different direction also. I'm a chronic over-thinker, and my worries are almost always all in my head. Thankfully the song ends on a happy note.

The song that hit me the hardest was "Cooling of the Embers". "You're only half here / like someone left a frail body and took the rest / but I remember when you were strong / never wanted help from no-one / what you've become is not what I remember." The emotional decline is not a relationship but her late grandmother's health. It's powerfully visual and strikes at the deepest chord of my heart.

She sings with such a personal touch. I think we can all relate to at least one song on the album. Give it a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...