Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New Tunes Tuesday - Imagine Dragons

Night Visions, the first full length album by Imagine Dragons, was released in the US in September, and last week, a deluxe version hit the shelves with five additional songs. Their hit single "It's Time" has received a lot of attention (understatement), so I had to give the whole album a listen. Indie alternative rock is not the typical kind of music I review, but I'm seriously hooked on this album.

The first track "Radioactive" bursts onto the scene and sets the stage for the rest of the album. It is a powerful song full of drums and has more of an electronic feel. The lead vocals by Dan Reynolds are strong and impressive.

The track that pop stations have devoured is "It's Time," a great demonstration of their sound. Extremely catchy with folk-inspired strumming, undeniable beat, and poppy hooks. All that and a great message to accompany this mega-hit. "It's time to begin, isn't it? / I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit / I'm just the same as I was / Now don't you understand / That I'm never changing who I am"

There are also a couple of standout ballads with "Amsterdam" and "Bleeding Out." The first is an interesting one and is kind of a grower as there aren't many stupendous hooks like the previous songs. The second is quite the opposite - very sporadic, twisted and emotional. Sounds like something from OneRepublic. "So I bare my skin / And I count my sins / And I close my eyes / And I take it in / And I’m bleeding out / I’m bleeding out for you (for you)"

Another standout track for me is "Demons." A song about the human behavior and the imperfections of us all. It really sounds like a lost track from Coldplay. It's a slower and emotional track driven by a booming drum.

The album is definitely set for commercial success. It's catchy and creative. As you progress through the album, their sound is varied and diverse yet cohesive at the same time. They play tribute to an undeniably 80's sound without it feeling cheesy. Two thumbs up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...