Monday, February 4, 2013

02.04.13 Hope - World Cancer Day


The pink ribbon. A symbol of hope that a cure for breast cancer will be found.

I can't remember where I got this little pink ribbon. It must have been while I was working at the American Cancer Society. I really like that there are people* attached on the ribbon. It symbolizes a community effort and support. That we are all in this fight together, and you are not alone.

*Edited: Worry People. That's what the little dolls are called. You are to tell the dolls all your worries and they take them all away.

Thankfully, I have never had breast cancer, but I have had skin cancer. I am fully aware of what it feels like to hear that word. "The mole we removed was melanoma." It was a small amount and easily remedied with two surgeries on my back. I have a nice scar to remind me to use sunscreen. Hearing the "c" word is a little unnerving and frightening and makes you think about many, many things.

Did you know today is World Cancer Day? My hope is that today you will learn more about cancer and how to prevent it. Here are four myths that you may not know.

  • Myth 1: Cancer is just a health issue. Truth: Cancer is not just a health issue. It has wide-reaching social, economic, development, and human rights implications.
  • Myth 2: Cancer is a disease of the wealthy, elderly and developed countries. Truth: Cancer is a global epidemic. It affects all ages and socio-economic groups, with developing countries bearing a disproportionate burden.
  • Myth 3: Cancer is a death sentence. Truth: Many cancers that were once considered a death sentence can now be cured and for many more people, their cancer can be treated effectively.
  • Myth 4: Cancer is my fate. Truth: With the right strategies, a third of the most common cancers can be prevented.

You can fight cancer through early detection and screenings, eating healthy and getting exercise, quit smoking, and raise awareness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...