Friday, December 14, 2012

Focus On The Good

Shocked and horrified are two words that come to mind after hearing the news today. There was a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut. It's being reported that 27 people are dead, including 20 children. First graders.

Pure evil.

What kind of monster would do such a thing? It's an unthinkable tragedy. I have such a wide range of emotions going through my head and my heart right now. Grief, anger, sadness, confusion, outrage, hurt...

But I'm also shocked and horrified at the media for glorifying this tragedy. I think that is even more sickening. They are interviewing these poor traumatized children when they should just let them be with their families. I know it is their job to find the news and report it, but please.... show some compassion.

I, for one, will not be watching the news tonight. I will hug my kids a little tighter, say a prayer for the victims, and turn my TV off. I will help my kids feel safe. I will answer questions only if asked. And I will give them hope.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” - Fred Rogers

Focus on the good and caring people. I may not be able to provide a happy ending, but I can point out that there are still good people in this world. God bless us all.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...