Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Best Gift Ever

I may have mentioned it a time or two, but I don't really make a huge deal about things like this. Nope, I don't normally talk about what I would like for Christmas.

But first, let me start at the beginning... for a while my son has been "outgrowing" his Nintendo DS. Although for a long while, it was all he wanted. Begged me for one! So he saved his chore money, his birthday money, and finally bought one (with a little help from Mom and Dad) a couple of years ago. He was so excited about it. Played it all of the time. Saved up more money to buy games. That's all he wanted for his birthday and Christmas... more DS games. So, when he asked me if he could sell it, I was a bit sad honestly. My little boy was growing up. The things that once meant the world to him don't mean as much to him now. But still I said of course.

We went to GameStop where they will buy back your gaming systems and games. He brought several games with him and his DS hoping to cash in BIG. The man at the counter reviewed the items and told him the price for his trade. Yeah, he wasn't impressed. He decided he would keep his DS because he thought he could sell it for a higher price on Ebay (I agreed). He accepted the game trade but decided to take store credit. He was looking for a basketball game for the Wii, but they didn't have any in stock that day. So he walked away with his DS and a gift card, and has been holding on to them ever since. Never sold the DS. Never spent the gift card.

The other day he came up to my husband and me and asked if he could give his DS to his cousin for Christmas. He said, "He always asks me to play mine, and I don't want it. I'd like to give it to him." At first I was surprised. Such a generous gift. But then my heart swelled with pride. He has such a giving heart. We wholeheartedly agreed with his idea. That's a wonderful thing to do. And of course, his cousin LOVED his present. But I loved the look on Brandon's face even more when he watched his cousin open his present. Giving is the best part.

This morning, he surprised me again. As I mentioned earlier, I don't normally talk about gifts I'd like for Christmas. But I did happen to mention while we were out shopping something that I would like to have and that maybe I would receive it for Christmas. I opened this gift from Brandon this morning....


He heard me that day. He told me he bought the game online (yes, online!) with his gift card, had it shipped home, and hid it until Christmas. Krista found the package first when it arrived to the house, but he intercepted it with a "that's mine" and didn't tell her what it was. He wrapped it himself. My husband didn't even know he had bought it for me. It was completely Brandon's idea, and he had kept it a secret.

I cried when I opened my gift. He was beaming, a big smile on his face, as he watched me open his gift to me. I was completely surprised and extremely touched by his generosity. My sweet little boy is definitely growing up and becoming a very fine young man. 

And it's not just the gift (though I do love it). I saw a glimpse into his tender heart this Christmas, and I really loved what I saw. That was the best gift ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...