Monday, December 10, 2012

Under

This photo was taken purely by accident. My phone was lying on the table under my lamp. The front facing camera was switched on. I reached over to pick up my phone, and when I did, my finger hit the blue circle. 

The camera recorded this image.


Some of the world's most important discoveries or creations were accidental. It is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another. This happens in science all of the time. Louis Pasteur once said, "chance favors the prepared mind." That really is the genius behind accidental discoveries. The scientists were prepared. And because they were prepared, they were able to see the power in their mistake, set-back, or coincidence.

The key here is to see the possibilities created by chance or error, and to follow them through. For some mistakes are often feared. We fear being remembered for our errors. We try to avoid mistakes by being overly prepared or shunning activities were the risk is high. I am guilty of this. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I like being the best in everything I do. While at times that can be a positive trait, more often than not, it's a hindrance. 

So I chose this photo today to remind me to continue to take risks, to find the beauty in accidental happenings, and to look for the magic in my mistakes. Because I'd rather have a life of "oh wells" than a life of "what ifs."

Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...