So now I'll get on my healthy salad soap box and give you some tips on building a healthier salad.
- Pile on the leafy greens, especially spinach and romaine. They provide a great low calorie base.
- Load up on plain vegetables. Load them up and create variety in color - carrots, cucumbers, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, celery, and tomatoes.
- Add 1 or 2 lean protein selections. Protein will help you feel full and satisfied. Options include hard boiled eggs, ham, turkey, black beans, chickpeas, grilled chicken, or cottage cheese.
- Limit yourself to one high-calorie "extra." Go easy on the bacon bits, croutons, shredded cheese, olives, macaroni salad, and sliced almonds. And yes, you should only choose one.
- Go easy on the dressing. Look for low-calorie or low-fat options in a vinaigrette instead of creamy. Squeezing a lemon over your salad is a good option too.