Tuesday, November 13, 2012

New Tunes Tuesday - P!nk

Released in mid-September, I've decided to review The Truth About Love this week. I've listened to it several times and keep coming back to it time and again. Probably because I can relate to a number of the songs. This is a grown-up P!nk. She's gone through a few challenges in her life since her last release, and it shows in her music. It's raw, human emotion wrapped up in a funky dance beat.

The highlights are plentiful including some guest spots (rare for P!ink) from fun.'s Nate Ruess, Eminem and Lily Rose Cooper (a.k.a. Lily Allen). The first single, "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)," is a great representation of the album as a whole. It's playful, occasionally foul-mouthed, and examines the possible end of a long and tumultuous relationship. "I think I've finally had enough, I think I maybe think too much / I think this might be it for us (blow me one last kiss)."  However, I feel True Love (featuring Lily Rose Cooper) defines the true spirit of the album. "You're an a**hole but I love you / And you make me so mad I ask myself  / Why I'm still here, or where could I go." It's a sure signature song for P!nk.

Another stand out tune for me is "Where Did The Beat Go." A song that wonders what happened to the once hot and steamy relationship. It offers some of the best lyrics on the album. "There's a cause and effect, although I took the steps / I dove off of the bridge 'cause I had nothing left / All I ever wanted was you / And in the absence of you / I fell through."  And I really enjoy Try, which is her second single. Because no matter how much love hurts, now matter how much it burns, love anyway... and keep trying. Do more, and don't give up. "Ever worried that it might be ruined / And does it make you wanna cry? / When you're out there doing what you're doing / Are you just getting by?"

Considering what's on pop radio today, this could be the shining beacon of light we've all been searching for in a sea of one hit wonders. So let there be light... and let it be P!nk.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...