Tuesday, November 27, 2012

New Tunes Tuesday - Christmas Edition Week 1

Listening to Christmas music is the quickest way to get me into the spirit of the season. I absolutely love Christmas music. So from now until Christmas, I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my favorite Christmas albums for New Tunes Tuesday. I enjoyed reviewing Blake Shelton's CD a while back, so I will pick up where that left off and review five of my favorites. Who knows, you might discover some new tunes for yourself this year.

Y'all know I love country music, but it wasn't always like that. I grew up listening to it against my will, learned to love it, rejected it for a while, and then fell back in love. The Statler Brothers, however, remained a favorite group of mine throughout it all. Interestingly enough, only two are actually brothers and none have the surname of Statler. The group was named after a box of tissues (aren't you glad it wasn't Kleenex?) in the early 60's. Originally singing gospel, they stay true to those roots on Christmas Card.

Released in 1979, it's a great mix of traditional and original songs. One of my favorite original songs is "I Believe In Santa's Cause." They sing of the miracles and magic that light up at Christmas time. "There's a Santa world at Christmas / Turning to the world's applause / So hang a bell for ole Saint Nick / 'Cause I believe in Santa's cause." Another great original is "Carols Those Kids Used To Sing." I remember singing Christmas carols at the nursing home when I was a young Girl Scout. I always think of that when I hear this song. "Just a bunch of kids singing Christmas carols / to the hospital, and the old folks home. / Some times we'd go in and sing 'em all again / to a shut in who was living all alone."

Their famous vocal harmonies really shine on the traditional songs like White Christmas and Jingle Bells. The album ends very fittingly with each of the quartet singing a solo. Each song fits their voices so well. A Christmas Melody sums it all up with Silent Night, O Holy Night, The First Noel, and It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. They all come together at the end for a verse of Silent Night. Gorgeous. That ending note still gives me chills!

Every time I listen to this album I am transported back in time. Their sound is heartfelt, warm and homey yet still remains current. It was a tradition in my childhood home to play Christmas Card while decorating the tree, and that tradition continues in my home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...