Friday, July 27, 2012

New Tunes - Love and Theft

Love and Theft could easily become a new favorite of mine. I heard them this summer at the CMA Music Fest in Nashville. In between the acts on stage, we would be entertained by an acoustic set. They sang their top 10 single "Runaway" from their first album and "Angel Eyes" which is currently a top 10 single from their follow-up album. I was pretty much hooked on the first listen and couldn't wait to hear more. I would love to see them do an EP of acoustic songs. Their vocal chemistry is their showcase.

Since their debut album World Wide Open in 2009, they have undergone some major changes. Not only did they lose a band member, they also lost their label. Now under RCA, Stephen Barker Liles and Eric Gunderson are reintroducing themselves to fans with their harmony-driven songs.


"Inside Out" is a fun song about meeting an attractive person in a bar and wanting to turn the night into something more. "No it don't matter where we go / Just as long as I can hold you close / Kiss your lips / Get you thinking about maybe turning those blue jeans inside out." This could be a great summer tune. Maybe in 2013?


Another potential hit is "Runnin' Out Of Air". It's a nice flip on a song about love gone wrong and finding it hard to do things (like breathe) when you see them again. Instead of being moody, it has a catchy groove and a staccato melody. "Girl I wanna run right to you / Then I want to run away / Girl I gotta hand it to you / You know how to make me pay / Girl I wish I never knew you / 'Cause every time I see you standing there / Oh, feels like I'm runnin' out of air."


My favorite though is "If You Ever Get Lonely". Fans of Rascal Flatt's are sure to love this one. Another song about lost love with an addictive melody. "If you ever get lonely and you miss me / if you need someone to listen / even if it's only / the sound of someone's voice who loves you that you need to here / you know where to find me / If you ever get lonely." 


The best songs tell simple stories in a simple way, and that is basically the whole album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...