Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New Tunes Tuesday - A Thousand Miles Left Behind

Ever since I heard Gloriana's top 5 hit "(Kissed You) Good Night," I've been wanting to hear more. It is arguably one of the best duets in Country music on the airwaves right now. Well, today I got the chance. Their second album, A Thousand Miles Left Behind, was released today.

I can't help but compare them to Lady Antebellum - one girl, two guys, and sweet harmonies with a pop crossover sound. What works for Lady A is now working for the quartet turned trio after losing a band member last summer. 

They have great chemistry on "Can't Shake You". It's a song about trying to deal with a break-up when you're still running in the same circle of friends. You want to know what they're doing, but you don't want them to know that you want to know, you know? 

On the flip side, "Go On... Miss Me" is a sassy song about a jerk of a boyfriend. As time goes on, she realizes that her life has turned out for the better while he's still a loser. And then he realizes she's the one that got away. "One day you're going to miss me. You're going to try and try to get me back again." But she's too smart for that... "go on and miss me."

I also really enjoy "Carolina Rose" which is their second single off the album. It's written from the real life experiences of band member Tom Gossin about being on the road away from his sweetheart. He sings it beautifully. You can really feel the emotion behind the words in the song. "Yeah, the big time is everything I ever wanted / But the spotlight can't hold a candle to you."

I think Rachel Reinert really shines on "Where My Heart Belongs". It's a heartfelt song about cherishing childhood memories. I'm very nostalgic, so this song really resonates with me. "I still hear that old sweet song / a simple melody calling me back home / where the love grows pure and strong / that's where my heart belongs." 

A common theme emerges as you listen through the album. The worst feeling in the world is to look back and wish you had done things differently. Attempt to live your life without regrets. Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...