Tuesday, September 11, 2012

day 11. Hero

The heroes in my life were my teachers. I was fortunate enough to have wonderful teachers that left a lasting impression on me. I specifically remember my 6th grade teacher for helping me believe I could be anything I wanted to be, and also my high school science teacher for encouraging my love for science.


Today is also Patriot Day. Perfect topic for September 11. It's a day to remember those killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened. I was coming back from a meeting and the office was frantically talking about the plane crashes. We were glued to the internet all day long.

I wonder how the events of that day will be retold years from now. My son was only 5 months old at the time and my daughter wasn't even born yet. It's up to me as a parent to make sure they understand the timeline and what 9-11 means to our country. But the education doesn't stop with just the events of the day. This is also an opportunity to teach tolerance, freedom, patriotism, and respect.

But the most important lesson to learn is that life is short. There are no guarantees about tomorrow. Make each moment count because they are certainly numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...