Sunday, September 23, 2012

day 23. Before Bedtime

Routine.

I thrive on routine. I must have routine. If I don't have a routine, I wouldn't get anything done. I don't plan out every hour of every day, but there are certain schedules that I must keep.

The morning routine, for instance, is very important in order to get everyone out the door on time.... including myself. After I wake up, I hit the snooze, lie there for 15 minutes, and then get up. It's part of the routine. I get my coffee, eat breakfast, then I shower. I put on my make-up (the same way every day) before I get dressed, then I fix my hair. It takes me a total of 55 minutes from "get up" to "fix my hair." I know how long I can snooze, enjoy my coffee, and stare at my closet trying to figure out what to wear.

But kids can throw a huge curve ball in routines you have established. I tried to get my babies on a schedule the moment I brought them home from the hospital. And to this day, they still like routine. They like to know what comes next in their lives. Before bedtime is no exception. They put on their pajamas, brush their teeth, read a book (sometimes I'm the one doing the reading), then lights out. It's a conditioned response. After the routine, they know it's time to rest.

So after the kids (and my dog) are in bed, I have too have a routine before bedtime. I clean the kitchen and then straighten up the living room. I don't like to go to bed with a mess on the floor. I put on my pajamas, wash my face, then brush and floss my teeth. I take out my contacts and put on my glasses. And the last thing I do before turning in is go get a glass of water that I keep by my bed.


Every. Single. Night.  That's my routine.

Do you have a bed time routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...